Tuesday 8 November 2011

Reflections on the Camino by Jan (Pilgrim 4)

The experience of walking El Camino with three friends was simply amazing.  It was by far the most difficult thing I have tackled in my life, certainly much harder than I had anticipated.  We were continually faced with challenges - steep climbs, then extreme descents, rocky paths,  lack of  good food (particularly in the morning), hot temperatures, bugs, wind, illness but mostly foot issues. The interesting thing about my own experience is that I never felt stressed and that surprised me.  We got up every morning and simply walked.  In the beginning we were absolutely exhausted at the end of every day but as time went on we became stronger and were not quite as tired.  We all have a wealth of special memories that will last a lifetime. I will remember the people most, those we met along the route, both fellow pilgrims and the local villagers, but more importantly the three remarkable women with whom I travelled.

When I began this journey I was not certain why I had undergone such an experience.  After much reflection, and believe me there is lots of time to reflect when you walk, the answers still are not obvious to me but I am sure in time they will become clearer.  When I reached the cathedral in Santiago it seemed almost anticlimatic to me.  I had been emotional all day thinking about the end of this journey and I thought it would be a very emotional ending for me.  It isn't like crossing the finish line in a race and you feel euphoric.  At first I felt disappointment as I guess my expectations of the end of the walk were not met.  It wasn't until I returned to Vancouver airport (along with my husband Chris) and was met by our entire family.....our grandson, four sons, a daughter, a girfriend of one son and a dear friend that I realized my journey was complete.  I was once again home with those I treasure most!

Love Jan (Pilgrim 4)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home