Tuesday 8 November 2011

Camino Reflections by Muriel (Pilgrim 3)

It is said that the Camino never leaves you.
Since finishing my Camino I have had many thoughts as I come to grips with the immensity of the undertaking, the emotions felt, the people I met, why I did it and what revelations came to me

We met many interesting and friendly pilgrims along the way, some were doing the Camino for the third time; the fifth time, some were doing it in parts; 1 or 2 weeks per year until they completed it, most like us, were walking from start to finish.  I often thought as I put one foot in front of the other that I could never do this twice, although I had no doubts that I was going to finish, even though at times I wondered HOW!  I felt a real sense of wonder when I walked into the cathedral in Santiago and knew I was done.  The immensity of the cathedral and the realization that I was actually there was for me, overwhelming.  Arriving on Thanksgiving Day, October 10th, seemed particularly fitting.

As I walked I thought of many things; the people in my life, how lucky I am to have such an incredible loving family; friends  who are here and those who are gone from this life; those who are not well, those who are fortunate and less so; those I need to forgive.  I said a lot of prayers in a lot of churches and felt better for them.

When I was walking I was alone, even with my 3 dear fellow pilgrims in front or behind me,but always nearby.  There were no phones ringing, cars or traffic, mail, meetings, schedules, newspapers; no demands except the physical demands on my body  There is an absence of stress and a real feeling of peaceful simplicity which is not fully appreciated or realized until one returns to daily life at home.  Since arriving home I have been having some clarity on what the Camino has given me; I think it will continue to unfold and I will learn lessons about myself and life because of this journey in the days, weeks and even years ahead.
I will be forever grateful for the support of family and friends and the bonding I experience with my three amazing "sisters" Joanie, Sandy and Jan, and knowing they will be there for me forever.
Lastly, I think it is true; the Camino will never leave me, it has already taught me many things.

Love Pilgrim 3 (Muriel

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home