Friday 30 September 2011

Day 21 ....... Leaving our Rocks

We started the day walking uphill with headlights on. The climb was pretty steady but we were getting quite used to it.  ......fitness and lung capacity improving.  We were seeing more forested area.  All of us were doing pretty good in the foot department. About 7 km in Foncebaden we stopped for coffee.....at this location is one of four celtic huts ...left over from the days the Irish inhabited this part of Spain.  Very beautiful vistas far below us as we climbed, higher and higher.  I reflected on how I used to groan about walking from my place in Kits  up to 4th Ave. and now I walk unbelieveable km every day and usually think nothing of it.  Soon we arrived at what is the highest elevation of the camino.  This is the place you leave the rock you have brought from home. We climb up to the top of the rock pile and ask a fellow pilgrim to take a photo of the 4 of us.  Then it is time to place our rocks.  I have brought a tiny bag containing 3 very small stones, one for Mo, Donna and me.  Donna gave these to me the day before I left Vancouver.for Spain. I had written a little note and placed it  inside the bag......One for Donna , one for Mo, one for Mur, we love you Mo, Rest in Peace.  I like to think I brought them with me.  We took photos of us all placing our stones.  On the trail  again it was challenging at times, lots of loose stones. We stopped for a rest and shared a bar of chocolate. Now we could see the village far below us and the path was downhill all the way.  We hit the first bar for cold beers, sandwich and wine, chatting to all the other pilgrims who had arrived and were still arriving.
We took the top floor of a rural guest house ....very nice====lots of skylights and a nice breeze coming through the windows. Price is 18.50 euros each. A beautiful view from our windows too. We are in the village of El Acebo, 228km from Santiago.  Pilgrims dinner tonight was best ever........however I managed to spill a glass of red vino all over my shirt and pants.
We had a good time.....most of the pilgrims at the dinner where from Canada.  We have met more Canadians than anyother nationality on this trip.

2 Comments:

At 30 September 2011 at 20:03 , Blogger Travis said...

Sounds like you all are really starting to find your groove. See if you can post a photo on the blog... would like to see you placing your stones or something! Love Trav, Sian, Sofia, Sam.

 
At 3 October 2011 at 23:00 , Blogger FloFoFa said...

Must have been very moving to place your stones and think of Mo and your journey so far both physical and spiritual. You sound like your into the groove now, managing the feet, the distances, climbs, hostels, food, wine?!!! You are all doing great! Thanks for thinking of me Muriel, love Nova xox

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home